Monday 5 November 2012

From Beira Gare to Santini


A day with my dear friend C. in Lisbon and Cascais

I and my friend C. met in the beautiful Neo-Manueline Rossio Railway Station (Estação do Rossio) in Lisbon. Our meeting place was not chosen by chance.You see, I wanted to go to the restaurant in front, the Beira Gare, to eat a simple Bifana. While waiting for my dear friend, I was happy to see that the Beira Gare was still open and full of customers. I was afraid that due to the economical crisis this picturesque restaurant would have closed its doors. But no, Beira Gare was still alive and kicking.


From Férias Portugal 2012

Beira Gare's Bifana, is really, really delicious and considered by many the best in Lisbon! A Bifana is a sandwich of pork fried in garlic and white wine and served in a heated bread. I simply love it!! And it is so cheap: 2.40€!!! Can you believe it?! Give it a try if you go to Lisbon!

After our lunch we walked until the Cais do Sodré railway station where we took the train to Cascais. For a half hour we enjoyed the Tagus River and then the Atlantic Ocean amazing views. Arriving in Cascais railway station, we went to the beach nearby, Praia da Conceição. After enjoying a splendid sunny afternoon there, we went finally to Santini for a delicious ice-cream.
In this photo, my friend C. is holding my mango and strawberry ice-cream. Looks yummy, don't you think?

From Férias Portugal 2012

Santini ice-salon opened its doors in 1949 in Cascais. Soon became well-known for the quality of its ice-creams. The European Royal families living in exile in Cascais - from Spain and Italy among others - soon became Attílio Santini's customers and developed a friendly relationship with him and his family. Along the years going to Santini to eat an ice-cream became a delicious tradition when in Cascais.

6 comments:

Margarida Elias said...

Quanto às bifanas tenho de experimentar (nunca comi nesse sítio), quanto à viagem de comboio para Cascais já fiz e recomendo vivamente, quanto aos gelados - já estou com água na boca. São os melhores gelados que conheço! Bjs!

Presépio no Canal said...

Concordo contigo. São também os melhores gelados que conheço e o passeio de comboio é uma maravilha! Se fores ao Beira Gare, aproveita para tirar uma fotografia ao painel de azulejos. ;-)
Eu não tirei porque estava muita gente. Talvez por volta da hora do lanche (5h00 em diante) seja mais fácil.
Bjs!

Sami said...

Também não conheço o Beira Gare, mas o Santinis claro que sim, é legendário em Cascais e os gelados são uma delicia!

Presépio no Canal said...

No ano passado, não me foi possível ir até Cascais. Vá lá que abriram a gelataria no Chiado e pude matar saudades...:-) Um beijinho para si, Sami.

restlessjo said...

The bifana looks tasty, Sandra.

I haven't been able to follow your "All this is Portugal" site. I subscribed but when the emails come in the links aren't "live".
Has anyone else had this problem?

Presépio no Canal said...

Hi, Jo

Are you talking about my other blog, "Terras de Luz e Mar"? Please, confirm me if it is the case and I will try to see what we can do. It's the first time I hear about this situation and I'm not very techi, but I will try to figure out. Thank you to let me know, Jo.