Thursday 21 October 2010

History Week in the Netherlands

Welcome to The History Week!

Sinds last Saturday until next Sunday, you can participate in the activities of your city, province or elsewhere in the country!

Did you already participate in the History Week? Or will you do it in the following days?

From Spakenburg

(Spakenburg, October 2010)

Last Sunday, I went to Spakenburg, located in Utrecht province, one of the few places in the Netherlands where some women still wear local traditional clothes (Kraplap).

Spakenburg is a very good example of the strong connection between "Netherlands and the Sea" or "Nederland en de Zee", this year's theme of The History Week ( "Week van de Geschiedenis").

From Spakenburg


Spakenburg is a very religious village (Calvinists/ Dutch Reformed Church), so the stores, restaurants and bars were closed last Sunday.

From Spakenburg


I wished this restaurant was opened, so I could eat a hot meal. It was so cold!
Remember also that 18.30 pm is time to dinner in the Netherlands...

From Spakenburg


Nevertheless, it was a nice walk!

From Spakenburg


Well, you know already how I like boats ;-)

From Spakenburg


Places like these are magical to me...

From Spakenburg


I have lovely memories of the fishery's world ... ;-)

From Spakenburg


Remember Portugal's great liaison with the sea....

13 comments:

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Sandra......you are one of the people that MAKE ME WANT to do something special....I so want to see your home...wonderful photos. You are so gifted in taking us places!!

Peace to you dear one, Anita

Margarida Elias said...

São estas coisas que me fazem desejar viver num país do norte da Europa. Até o pormenor de jantar cedo me agrada!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

SANDRA! I must hunt this link down you sent.....I tried but it didn't send me anywhere...I will try again! YES, I LOVE NATURE SO MUCH! Thank you for thinking of me dearest friend!

Have a lovely, autumn day. We are having blustery but wonderful wind! ~ Anita

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

TEEEEHEHEEEEEEE! I JUST SAW IT! WOW! That is Gretta, a character from NOWHERE, the group blog that I have with THE DUTCHESS and other marvelous friends, including my husband! Gretta is a hedgehog created by Jackie. Oh dear, I must link this to NOWHERE!

Than you precious! This just made me smile! Anita

Presépio no Canal said...

Lovely, isn't it? ;-) Nowhere is visiting me...;-)
Sending smiles, my dear!

ana said...

Os barcos são lindos!
Adoraria passar uns tempos nos países do Norte da Europa. Digo uns tempos porque sou uma incondicional amante dos países do Sul...Itália.
Obrigada por esta partilha!
Bjs :)

Presépio no Canal said...

;-) Tambem gosto mais do sul...
Na Provenca, em Franca ;-)
Na Toscania, tambem ficaria muito bem ;-)
Ou no nosso Douro...
Ja me pos a sonhar, Ana ;-))
Bjs! ;-)

PATagonia said...

Sandra,
What a wonderful place is Spankeburg (sure I wrote it not well..), I like the towns with channels and typical arquitecture of the Netherlands. I also like the boats very much.

It´s a very beautiful post!!!

Beijinhos!!!

Presépio no Canal said...

Hallo, Patricia! :-)

Thank you ;-) I'm very glad you like it!

Bjs!!

Bertie said...

Love your Spakenburg pictures, I do love the lady in the square, one thing the Dutch do very well, you see these statues a lot,and your link is lovely, I have got the history of these places in my books.
As for the food, yes I have to get used to the times when visiting and am peckish again at 9pm LOL.

Presépio no Canal said...

Hallo, Bertie ;-)

Thanks for your comment ;-)

My dinner time schedule is changing. I want to eat early. I think it's because of the cold. Now, 18.30 is ok for me. It's funny...;-)

TBM said...

Oh, those beautiful boats! And LOL, we still eat at 6:30 when we can. It leaves more time to do stuff in the evening :-)

Presépio no Canal said...

I agree, Japra! Dinner at 18.30 makes the evening longer... ;-)